Final yr, I reviewed the Gazelle CityZen T9 ebike and thought it was a implausible providing for these folks content material with 20mph help speeds on smoother roads. However as somebody who commutes on rougher backcountry roads, I a lot desire getting near 30mph earlier than the electrical help cuts off. That not solely means a Class 3 succesful motor however another enhancements are essential to the bike.
Right now we’re trying on the reply to most of my considerations with the T9: Gazelle’s Medeo T10+
In our CityZen T9 assessment, I famous that there have been 2 issues I might enhance in regards to the bike earlier than I’d contemplate proudly owning one:
The 20 mph (32 km/h) energy cutoff and skinny Continental tires didn’t work nicely with my commute and way of life. I normally spend most of my e-bike journey within the mid-upper 20s (higher 30s in km/h) on flat floor (slower on uphill, sooner downhill clearly). Additionally, the roads in my space aren’t clean in any respect and in reality might be fairly bumpy.
The Medeo T10+ is the same sturdy aluminum bike with related sporty geometry. It additionally contains the entire identical high-quality literal bells and whistles, together with built-in:
- AXA lock and Compactline 35 Lux headlamps and Blueline rear lighting
- Powertube 500Wh Bosch battery
- Robust rear rack with built-in bungee cords
- Metal splash guards
You’re additionally trying on the related high-quality 10-speed Shimano Deore exterior drivetrain and Shimano BR-MT420 4-piston hydraulic disc brakes. Each are rock strong and really feel like they may final years earlier than they may want work.
Whereas these look like high-end components, Gazelle truly makes a $500 dearer model of this bike with the identical drivetrain referred to as the “Ultimate”. Apart from the paint job and possibly the entrance lighting, I’d personally save the $500…
Medeo T10+ worth
In different phrases, this factor is loaded to the tooth with high-end parts and has the identical $3500 price ticket because the T9. I do know lots of people need wonderful bikes with high tier parts for $1000 however the actuality is that Bosch in all probability fees greater than that for the drivetrain alone. Add over 100 years of Dutch engineering and high-end built-in components and the value truly makes a whole lot of sense. This bike goes to final years!
Medeo T10+ suspension and journey
The T10+ additionally upgrades the wheels to wider Schwalbe Massive Apple tires and a Suntour Mobie A32 NLO suspension fork which completely adjustments the journey expertise on tough roads. I’m not a stickler for suspension on commuter bikes and to be sincere, I’ve had some unhealthy experiences with low finish, too tender entrance fork suspension. However the adjustable Suntour right here is the very best of each worlds. Agency sufficient to not get in the way in which whereas pumping and tender sufficient to cushion these large potholes. The tires/wheels are additionally the Goldilocks of simply large and tender sufficient, but environment friendly.
Mixed with the stiff body and the larger tires, it’s onerous to seek out one thing to complain about within the journey. Gazelle presents 3 sizes of this bike (45, 50, 55) and likewise presents a mid-step model of this bike in an aqua coloration:
Bosch Efficiency Line Pace
The largest and most essential improve right here is the motor. The T9 did an admirable job however slicing out at 20mph (as a Class 1 ebike motor ought to do) was disappointing. Bosch Efficiency Line Pace 4.0 retains the facility coming all the way in which as much as 28 miles per hour. Though 8 miles per hour won’t look like quite a bit, on the 30-35mph roads, it’s the distinction between using with visitors and having to edge to the aspect of the highway to get handed.
I’ve to say that I’m at all times impressed with the quantity of environment friendly energy Bosch is ready to squeeze out of its motors. You will get shut to twenty miles of vary on turbo mode and three instances that on eco. I’ve examined this on my hilly commute and discover the numbers to be very correct if not slightly conservative, particularly within the realm of fantastical ebike vary rankings. Bosche’s newest model of the Efficiency pace has additionally dropped some weight though I believe it may need additionally dropped some sound insulation.
In the meantime, the motor is extraordinarily highly effective with its 75-85nm of torque. It is going to each get you up the steepest of hills and to 28mph with ease. Bosch even managed to drop some weight from its pace line of motors making this bike barely heavier than the smaller T9 at round 50lbs. The Purian show is minimalist however will get the job carried out very nicely.
I’m not sure if I had the 75nm or 85nm of torque since Bosch is upgrading its motors for more torque with a software update. However both approach, this factor has all the facility you want in pedal help.
You may add a second battery to this bike bringing the overall to 1kWh of battery and vary that extends past 100 miles for these longer “insane on a motorcycle” commutes.
No bike is ideal and I’m sticking to this being the “greatest commuter bike for me that I’ve ridden.” However I’ll record some areas the place Gazelle may attain a wider viewers with some enhancements.
- Not personally a fan of the flat “Mallard” blue paint job and that’s one space the place I’m jealous of the $500 extra “Final” with its flashy pink. This factor additionally is available in a mid-step model with a muted aqua dubiously named “Petrol gloss.” Gross!
- There’s no option to put a throttle on a Bosch bike however I do know a whole lot of instances, particularly beginning up a hill, I believed only a fast enhance would assist. One thing I favored in regards to the different Dutch ebike I reviewed this year, the VanMoof S3 was they snuck in a throttle.
- $3500. Look, I get it. Premium parts aren’t low cost and as I mentioned earlier than, the Bosch drivetrain alone in all probability prices greater than a pleasant Juiced or Rad bike. However possibly they need to have additionally thrown in a higher-end Bosch show or one thing. The Purian is baseline however the $500 dearer Final didn’t get a greater one both. The excellent news is which you could improve pretty simply to any of Bosch’s displays. I’m getting my palms on the SmartphoneHub personally.
I’m actually not looking ahead to giving this one again and returning to my 2017 Raleigh Redux IE with Brose drivetrain. I’ll miss the suspension and the splashproof fenders and swept-back handlebars for certain. However what I’ll in all probability miss most is the reliability, vary, and sheer hill-chomping torque of the Bosch Efficiency line Pace system. The T10+ is a very nice commuter.
Possibly they’ll neglect to select it up?
Gazelle Medeo T10+ Specs
• Body: Steady light-weight aluminium sloping body with 70,5° headset angle and 73° saddle tube anglefor a sporty posture and exact dealing with. Cables superbly built-in into the body.
• Built-in cables: Sure
• Fork: Suntour Mobie A32 NLO tapered
• Chain guard: Plastic
• Rear provider: Aluminum MIK system provider
• Tires: Schwalbe Massive Apple, 50-622
• Rims: Mach1 ER-10, 28″
• Spokes: Stainless-steel, additional sturdy
• Fender: Stainless-steel
• Handlebar: aluminium, barely curved mannequin
• Stem: With toolbox, steplessly adjustable
• Steer grip: Herrmans DD36
• Entrance hub: Shimano
• Shifter: Shimano Deore 10
• Brake system again: disc brake with hydraulic management;
• Brake system entrance: disc brake with hydraulic management;
• Crank: Miranda Delta
• Seatpost: Fastened
• Saddle: DDK, sportive
• Lights entrance: Axa Compactline 35, LED headlamp, 35 lux, on/off switching through show
• Mild powered by: battery
• Mild again: Axa Blueline, LED battery provide, on/off
switching through show
• Lock kind: Axa Block XXL, ART ** licensed
• Kickstand: drop-down rear stand, Ursus Mooi
• Chain: additional sturdy, particular for e-bike
• Show: Bosch Purion LCD
• Sensors: rotation sensor; pace sensor; pedal power sensor
• Engine: Bosch Efficiency Line Pace 4.0 (75 Nm), 36V
• Battery: Mid-step: built-in into body, Excessive-step: built-in into body
• Charger: 4 Ah
FTC: We use revenue incomes auto affiliate hyperlinks. More.
Subscribe to Electrek on YouTube for exclusive videos and subscribe to the podcast.